Thursday, January 31, 2013

Green Eyes. An updated Addictive Cosmetics review {indie cosmetic companies}

You may have read my review of Addictive Cosmetics a few days ago in which I didn't have anything nice to say about their FixIt spray. Well, despite the bad review, I didn't want to give up on this spray! After a little trial and error, I've found the secret to making it all work--at least in my makeup kit!

How I got this look:
  1. Apply e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer all over the lid. This keeps the shadow from creasing.
  2. Spray Addictive Cosmetics FixIt into the palm of your hand. Dip a finger into the FixIt and apply to the lid. This makes the Addictive Cosmetics shadow POP.
  3. Apply a satiny ivory shadow to your brow bone and tear duct. I used one of the shadows from the 32 piece e.l.f. Warm Eyeshadow Palette that was available in Target during Christmas.
  4. Using a crease brush, apply a matte brown in your crease. I used a matte brown from the same 32 piece e.l.f. Warm Eyeshadow Palette.
  5. Using a flat, firm brush (I actually use my SOHO concealer brush), apply Addictive Cosmetics loose shadow in Camo on the lid.
  6. Blend the brown color and Camo together a bit.
  7. Run a fluffly blending brush over everything to make sure it is all cohesive.
  8. Top it all off with CoverGirl Clump Crusher mascara.
So, as you might have noticed, I used two different eye primers. Why? Well, one day, I had an experiment. I applied e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer to one eye and Addictive Cosmetics FixIt to the other eye. Over all that, I applied Addictive Cosmetics loose shadow in Sailor. Sailor is a beautiful deep navy blue that I picked so I could see the creasing very easily.

What I found was that, initially, the shadow looked best on the eye that used FixIt. Why? I think it's because FixIt is tacky and really grabs the shadow. The e.l.f. primer just didn't grab the shadow as well and almost looked patchy.

I thought about going out and buying Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance (as I don't own either of those) but decided to try and make this work with what I've got.

Solution? Layer the primers! So, I layered the FixIt over the e.l.f. primer and it worked beautifully! I got the beautifully pigmented shadows in full force from FixIt and longevity from e.l.f.

My shadows were beautiful all day even through Zumba and a rainstorm!

p.s. I posted this look on Reddit, check it out! :)
Disclaimer: This review contains samples were sent to me by the brand. I have never been paid for a review and I always give my honest and unbiased opinion.

2 comments:

Mary Heuser said...

Next time we're together we'll have to compare the results of this to using UDPP alone. It's neat that you found a solution, but still a big negative that FixIt does not work on it's own.

Tiffany Anne Kuechenmeister said...

Agreed. Which means I might not recommend that anyone buy it outright, but I'm glad I figured out how to make it work.

Of course, at $6.75 for FixIt and $3 for the e.l.f. primer, that would be considerably cheaper that UDPP. But, yes, next time we're together, we definitely need to compare the two side by side.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


blogger template by lovebird